ASA, respected Shaykh.
My name is [private] from Pakistan. This is a very difficult question for me to put in words, as I want to clear my mind on an issue, and at the same time maintain utmost respect to the honorable Shyakh (R.A).
About 1 and half years ago, the honorable Shaykh Nazim Kabani (R.A) had a meeting with former Pakistani dictator Pervaiz Musharraf. Recently I watched that video on the youtube. It was rather shocking to see the way Shaykh sahab treated that man. He was treated as if he being a Syed (it is only claimed by Musharraf) gave him a clean slate to do whatever he likes to do with ordinary people and even making fun of teaching of Rasoolullah SAW.
Let me point out the following:
1. He is the person who would openly ridicule Islamic laws and would say (published in various newpapers from time to time) that Muslims are backward because of their belief in Aaakhira and it makes them unprogressive.
2. He is responsible for selling many people (including women) to usa just to strengthen his rule (he admitted these facts in his own book)
3. He killed 93 people (officially admitted by himself), even though the official claims are over 1000, mercilessly. Even old women were burnt with phosphorus chemicals. I agree that the Lal masjid people might have exaggerated in their activities, but they were willing to surrender at the operation. But the “Honorable” and “Syed” Pervaiz decided to make example of them by killing/burning them and denying to them even surrender.
4. He razed dozens of mosques (including many which were built even before Pakistan came into being in 1947. He would call mosques as security threats (a well known fact by all Pakistanis)
5. The list can go on and on, but I believe that a wise man can understand even from very few words (not necessary many big paragraphs).
That’s why in the beginning I mentioned that this is a very difficult question to put in proper words. Here are my questions after the necessary background.
“IT IS TRUE THAT WALI-ULLAH ARE SUPPOSED TO RESPECT PEOPLE, BUT WHY RESPECT IS ONLY DESERVED BY THEM WHO HAVE HIGH SOCIAL STATUS (may I remind soorah “Abas” about the blind man). Are other common people (like me) are treated with same respected and protocol at your place?
“WHY DID SHAYKH THINK NECESSARY TO GIVE HIS DASTAR (head cover) TO A KILLER AND MOCKERER OF ISLAM? Was a normal protocol of meeting in a commonly respectable way not enough”?
Kindly get me a reply by whoever is in charge in Shaykh’s (RA) place. Being a Muslim I think that it is my right to know the answer for my satisfaction. (I MAY BE WRONG ABOUT MY BAD FEELINGS ON THIS ISSUE). If I do NOT get any reply, then I will assume the worst (which will lead a Muslim away from a sufi order in which he believes in) and conclude that respect is only for a certain title holders and worldly status people (how can it be different from Hindu Brahmanism).
Kindly forgive my strong words, but they represent my feelings.
With best regards,
wa `alaykum salam,
It is not the job of the Shaykh to pass judgement on Pervez Musharraf or on anyone who visits him. Rather it is his job to pull the heart of that person towards Islam. Else how could Sayyidina Muhammad (s) have sat with the likes of Khalid bin Waleed who, as general of the Quraysh, killed countless Muslims, before his conversion, or Sayyidina ‘Umar (r) who tortured and harmed the new Muslim converts of Mecca?
Shaykh leaves the judgement to Allah (swt) and, as necessary, the courts of law, and his intention is to pull in the heart towards truth and repentance. If in fact, Shaykh were to judge his visitors, not one of us could stand up to his scrutiny.
Mawlana Shaykh, may Allah bless his soul, often used to say, “When you see me treat someone extra special, then beware of that one,” meaning “we soothe the egos of the wild harmful ones to avoid their harm to us and to our friends and associates.”
And Allah knows best.