About Al Maidah: 3

Question:

Assalamu wa Alaykum wa rahmatullah ya Mawlana!

Allah says,”This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion.” (Surah Maidah Ayat-3)

The Wahabi use this verse to justify all Bida’a that is objectionable. What is the true meaning of this part of the ayah? And what is the best answer to give to them?

JazakAllahu Khayr

Answer:

Wa alaikum as-salaam,

If they only give you this verse as if that’s the end of the matter - you can respond that the following verse had already been revealed in the Qu’ran and are part of that perfection:

{God and His Angels send blessings upon the Prophet. O you who believe, send ye blessings on him, and salute him with respect} (Surat al-Ahzab, 33:56)

and

{Men who celebrate the praises of God, standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides,  and contemplate the wonders of creation in the heavens and the earth…..} (Surat Ali-`Imran, 3:191)

So what they term bid`ah is (dhikr, Sufism, mawlids etc…) are all firmly grounded in the two above-mentioned verses.   Therefore their using that particular verse doesn’t prove anything.

As for defending the soundness of a particular practice – I would recommend the following works:

• The Encyclopedia of Islamic Doctrine – All volumes – by Shaykh Hisham Kabbani.   (The introduction to Volume 3 gives numerous examples of good innovations that were introduced by the sahaba).
  • Sunna Notes Volume 2 Studies in Hadith & Doctrine – Dr. Gibril Haddad
  • The Reliance of the Traveler – Ahmad Ibn Naqib Al Misri, translated by Shaykh Nuh Ha Mim Keller.

The following links may be helpful also

http://www.themodernreligion.com/basic/sufi-bida-response.htm

http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/nuh/bida.htm

And Allah knows best

Yusuf Hussain

About Yusuf Hussain

Studied under Mawlana Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani for the last 5 years, and prior to that another an Uwaisi Shaykh in Pakistan for two years from '93-96 and intensive self-study. Secular Education: 1997-2001 bachelors in Computer Science 2008-present masters of business adminstration
This entry was posted in Halal & Haram, Qur'an & Tafsir and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.