Mount Qaf

Question:

I want to know about the Mount Qaf. Please tell me extensive detail about it.

Answer:

Ibn Abi al-Dunya and Abu al-Shaykh narrated from Ibn `Abbas (Allah be well-pleased with him): “Allah has created a mountain called Qaf which surrounds the world, and whose roots stem from the rock on which the earth rests. Whenever Allah wants to shake a town He orders that mountain to shake the root that belongs to that town. That is why  earthquakes occur in some places exclusively of others.”

Ibn al-Mundhir, Abu al-Shaykh in al-Azhama, al-Hakim and Ibn Marduyah all related from `Abd Allah b. Burayda in exegesis of {Qaf} (50:1): “It is a mountain of emerald surrounding the world, on which rest the two sides of the sky.”

Imam al-Suyuti mentions in al-Durr al-Manthur, that `Abd al-Razzaq narrated from Mujahid: “Qaf is a mountain surrounding the world.”

Imam al-Baghawi mentioned in his Tafsir Ma`alim al-Tanzil from `Ikrima and al-Dahhak: “Qaf is a mountain of green emerald surrounding the world the way a wall surrounds a garden. The sky’s sides rest over it, hence its blue color.”

Others such as Ibn Kathir and al-Alusi rejected the above reports as inauthentic or Israelite stories. And Allah knows best.

Hajj Gibril Haddad

This entry was posted in History and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.