Hadra

Question:

Asalaamu Alaykum,

Many people do the hadrah and come out with a sore back or feeling dizzy. There are some that you can see are feeling something. My question is how do we do hadrah correctly, as I do think many people are doing this form of dhikr wrong.

Jazak Allah Khayr, pray for me and my family

Answer:

`Alaykum as-Salam,

May Allah Most High bless you and your family.

The state one obtains from the Hadra is related to the state one brings to it. A broken heart recalling the angels’ perfect submission and remembrance of their Lord around the Throne will be given wings insha-Allah, while a proud soul will be dragged to a lowly level. It is similar to what some hadiths describe as the various experiences of the worshipers according to sincerity: some face Mercy and feel spiritual proximity, others earn not even one-tenth of their prayer’s credit, and only pangs of hunger out of their fasting.

Hadra means “presence,” a reference to the presence of the Divine world such as the angels, the Prophets, the Siddiqs, the Martyrs, and the righteous, and the Divine Throne. Recalling this is meant to obliterate everything else from one’s purview. If that happens then it does not matter if afterwards one experiences soreness as the spiritual gains will take all that away, just as the hadith said, that if you remember the Beloved – the Holy Prophet (upon him blessings and peace) – then your cramp will be taken away. However, taking notice of oneself or others means one is still stuck in dunya.

May Allah Most High forgive us and energize us toward His obedience.

Hajj Gibril Haddad

This entry was posted in Sufism (Tasawwuf) and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.