Asking Khula unable to bare drunkard husband’s cruelty and violence.


Assalamualaikum, My sister age 24, married for 9 years have 2 kids. Her husband is habitually drunk since their marriage he maltreats , violent , even attempted to kill her three times. We have decided to take khula. Do we get compensation for kids ?


Alaykum Salam,
Khula means for the wife to give back her dowry or any agreed upon amount in exchange for separation. However, in the scenario described the wife is entitled to ask for a divorce and does not have to give back her dowry because she has been wronged in a big way and is the victim who is owed compensation. This may be pursued either in a Shari`a court or in a civil court, whichever is easier.

Hajj Gibril Haddad

This entry was posted in Marriage/Divorce and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.