Long Separation


I have been married for 15 years and we separated in 2007. We have one son and the father has had no contact since then. My husband has remarried and lives with new family. I applied for a civil divorce which was granted. Do I need khula too?


As-Salamu ‘Alaikum,

According to the court ruling you are divorced from your former husband and since the Iddah ended you may re-marry as he re-married.

If you initiated the divorce then you should give him some payment so it will be a proper shar’i khula’.

Dr. Senad Agic, Imam
SABAH – Chicago
9920 Grand Ave
Franklin Park, IL 60131


This entry was posted in Marriage/Divorce and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.