Should Seek Divorce?


Assalam o Alaikum Ya Shaikh, My Husband and I had been married in Feb last year. In short we were living with his parents, after marriage I discovered he was more controlling of nature than he posed initially. He had issues with giving me monthly expenditure, nanafqa, me visiting my parents, cooking, serve his mother’s desires. Our arguments had a lot of screaming and shouting turning into physical abuse in front of his parents. Last argument i came to my parents only to share my ordeal with my family. He and His parents came to our home, insulted my parents, cursed and shouted, even brought the Qur’an with them for me to take oaths. Have been 6 months and haven’t heard from him. No nafqa given either. I want to know if I should file for divorce and that If how to seek Mawlana Nazim’s approval (guidance). Walaikum Assalam.


wa `alaykum salam,

To be patient and hope for a better future is better. But if your husband:
a. refuses to provide for you,
b. harasses you and treats you unjustly,
c. abandons you and you become like a suspended woman not knowing if you are still his wife or not,
then it is permissible that you ask for divorce.

Imam Senad Agic
Head Imam (IABNA)
The Islamic Association of Bosniaks in North America
American Islamic Center – Chicago

This entry was posted in Family Issues and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.