Redressing stolen money


When I was young I “stole” money from a girl I never saw again. How do I best redress this now? Should I give Sadaqah to poor people or should I give it to my family? Also, is there a ruling on making dua for her so that she might forgive me ?


You first need to:

a) feel remorse for the sin,
b) resolve to never repeat it again,
c) return the property that you took.

As for the case where the owner is no longer around, you should donate the stolen money to a non-Muslim charity. This is because stolen money is haram to be used by Muslims.

As-Salamu ‘Alaikum,

Imam Senad Agić
SABAH – Chicago

This entry was posted in Halal & Haram and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.