ASSALAMU ALAIKUM WA RAHMATHULLAHI WA BARAKATHUHU
PLEASE GUIDE ME ABOUT ZAKATH AND THE MODE OF PAYMENT AND DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM. IS IT PERMITTED TO GIVE ANY ORGANIZATIONS WHO CLAIM THAT THEY WIIL DISTRIBUTE. IF OK. WHAT IS THE MODE OF OPERATION. I WANT THE ANSWERS TO MATCH WITH THE OPINION OF ULAMAS BELONGING TO THE MADHABS.
I BELONG TO SHAFI MADHAB.
REGARDS MA ASSALAMATH
Wa `alaykum salam,
Zakat is an obligatory welfare contribution. The minimum amount is 2.5% from one’s surplus wealth, based on the Nisab. Refer to a Zakat slideshow from Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (Shafi’i) with links to Zakat information and calculation here. (You have to refer to your local authorities who shall determine the Nisab amount from which to calculate how much you should contribute).
Four conditions of Zakat:
1. The person is a Muslim.
2. The person has full ownership of the wealth.
3. Nisab is reached: Nisab is the market value of 86 grams of gold.
4. Haul is completed: Possession of the assets for one Hijrah year or 355 days.
If the organization claims to distribute the Zakat collected you may give it to them and they will be responsible. You should be able to obtain information about their distribution (if you so wish). Otherwise (in Shafi’i) you must locate at least 1 person in each of the 8 categories who are eligible to receive Zakat and distribute to them evenly:
2. Needy – Al-Masakin
3. Those employed to collect the Zakat – `Amileen `alayha
4. Those whose hearts are to be won – Mu’allafatu Qulubihim
5. Those enslaved, to free the captives – Ar-Riqaab
6. Those in debt – Al Ghaarimeen
7. Those who work for the cause of God – Fi sabilillah
8. Wayfarer – Ibn as-Sabeel
w `Allahu A’lam
Ustadh`Abdul Shakur Hadi