changing surname



My stepfather had replaced my father’s name with his own in my school records. I tried changing that name officially once I realised it was a mistake but could not do it. My father was a Sayyid and Hashmi.-I want to now make this change– but changing records still proving difficult -but my cousin who is a lawyer advised me to add my surnames even if I cant change the father’s name in records.

So kindly advise if I should add Sayyida to my name or is it necessary to also add Hashmi. I am in a dilemma please reply.


Alaykum Salam,
If you cannot add both, then either Sayyida or Hashmi is enough as a reminder, since they are synonymous and they both mean Prophetic descendant.

Hajj Gibril Haddad

This entry was posted in General and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.