Salam Sh Gibril
May you have a blessed last 10 nights of Ramadan.
I have a question to ask you.When a non-Muslim passed away we are not allowed to ask forgiveness for his soul. But is it allowed for us to say to the family members as a form of taziah condolences such as :
1. May God Bless his soul and have mercy on him
2. May he rest in peace .
3. May he be in a better place due to his good deeds
What are the limits that we can say or make doa for him ?I apologize for any inconvenience.
The three forms of ta`ziyah that you mentioned are reserved for Muslims and not permissible to say for non-Muslims.However, it is allowed to say for non-Muslims:
1. “ًWe belong to God and to Him we all return,” or
2. “May God give you patience and consolation,” or
3. “May God replace your grief with happiness,” or
4. “May God compensate you for your loss.”
These are the limits of what we may say, and Allah knows best.
Hajj Gibril Haddad