In Islam how are parents expected to bring their children up, what guidance should they provide?
wa `alaykum salam,
Here are some basic guidelines:
- From childhood teach them to pray 5 prayers, because when they are young they learn easily. Don’t come when they are older 15, 16 and try to force them at that time. From the age of 5 let them pray with you.
- When they are 7 let them fast half a day with you in Ramadan. When they are 9, let them fast 3, 4 or 5 days of Ramadan.
- if you are very pious and sincere, and want to raise your daughters well, let them cover from the age of 6 or 7 and then at 10 they will be ready to cover and they will not feel shy in the community.
- Husband and wife must never fight in front of the children. Keep your differences and angry discussions private between yourselves. Show them always love and sincerity insha-Allah they become good Muslims.
- Teach them the respect of their parents.
- Don’t give children whatever they like. Only give it to them when they have forgotten about it, don’t give it the moment they ask for it. This will train them not to gratify their ego and desire.
Hajjah Naziha Kabbani