Assalamualeykoum Sheikh Hicham.
May Allah(swt) give you long life, to your family, to Sheikh Nazim and all the community.
3 days ago, somebody told me that using beads in saying the Beautiful Names of Allah (swt) was a wonderful thing and then specified the fact that it has to be done with the right hand. It was obvious for me but this guy said afterwards that the left hand is the one that we use to clean ourself in the W.C. The next day, when I was in the W.C., I have just realized that I was using my left hand to hold the bottle of water and the right one to clean myself. Therefore I was confused…..
Was it true what this guy told me ??
If yes, does it mean that all my awrads with my beads were useless??
Thanks for your time and consideration
wa `alaykum salam,
All your awrads with whatever hand are blessed in sha Allah. Is it not enough that we see Mawlana Shaykh Nazim and his Khalifas count tasbih on the left hand also? We make dhikr with both hands as both hands will be asked about it on the Day of Resurrection. The early Muslims counted the dhikr on both hands and not only the right hand. Similarly we raise both hands in du`a not just the right hand, and in Salat we raise both not just the right. All seven limbs must make prostration for Salat to be complete, including the left hand.
As for cleaning oneself in the latrine only the left hand should be used if able.
Hajj Gibril Haddad
Here is a collection of a few ahadith on Islamic manners of cleaning yourself in the toilet.
- Do not breathe while drinking water; do not touch male organ in lavatory and do not cleanse private parts with your right hand… (Sahih Bukhari, 1. 4.155)
- While urinating, do not hold male organ with your right hand… (Sahih Bukhari, 1.4.156)
- While in a toilet do not touch male organ with your right hand… (Sahih Muslim, 2.0512)
- While urinating or defecating do not touch male organ with your right hand… (Sunaan Abu Dawud, 1.1.0031)
- When urinating do not touch male organ with your right hand… (Sunaan Nasai, 1.24, 25)
- Use left hand for private parts…(Mishkat, 1.185)
- Do not touch male organ with right hand… (Mishkat, 1.183)
- Use left hand for touching private parts… (Mishkat, 1.185)
Imam Senad Agic
The Islamic Cultural Center of Greater Chicago